Tuesday, June 13, 2006

An exciting/frightening day!



First, the exciting part:

Noah J went to his first storytime at the library today! He was a little shy at first, but then he enjoyed looking around at the books and playing with some of the toys. His favorite part, though, was the many many strollers that he could try to push around. So I had lots of fun trying to keep him away from those! He listened to 2 different books, sang some songs, attempted to dance, and even made a Father's Day craft. Well, I made the craft, but Noah J looked at it. The only thing was that I didn't bring him a good snack - thats how all of the parents bribe their kids to sit in their laps quietly for the books! :) Luckily we went with Adeline and she shared her crackers with Noah.

Afterwards we went to Adeline's house and had lunch and played. Noah J was so exhausted, but he still only took a 2 hour nap. He normally takes 2 one and a half hour naps each day. But that meant he went to bed quickly and easily tonight!

I was the only mother there snapping pictures of her kid. I'm sure all of the other mothers were thinking: hmmm, must be her first kid! If only they knew I take pictures everywhere - even just a normal trip to the grocery store! He had so much fun I think I'm gonna take him every week!

Now, the frightening part:

Noah J got locked in the car this afternoon! We went to Target after his nap, and it started like any other trip - fast forward to me standing outside of the car sobbing.

Like I do every single time, I opening the hatch on the back of the Sorento and loaded all of the bags. Then I take Noah from the cart and strap him into his seat. Well, he was fussy an it was REALLY hot, so he cried while I was strapping him in. So to distract him I gave him my keys. Well, I forgot he had them, closed the door and went around the back. I took the shopping cart cover off the cart, tossed it into the back, and closed the hatch. I pushed the cart to the cart holder thing which was in the space next to us and went around to the drivers side. I pulled on the handle and my heart sank. I ran around to all of the doors and of course, they were all locked. I looked at Noah J and he had the remote in his mouth and was chewing on it. Evidently he hit the lock button. Whats crazy is that he's played with these keys about a thousand times, and has never clicked the buttons. Half the time I have to push it like 5 times just to get it to work.

So I freak out. I had no idea what to do. My wallet and diaper bag were locked into the car, I didn't have my phone, absolutely nothing. And I didn't want to leave him there alone, but I didn't know what to do so I ran into the store and grabbed the manager and told her my son was locked in the car. So she's really calm and takes me to the customer service desk and gets on her walky talky thing and is like "We have a code 2968, repeat, code 2968." And I'm just rambling about who to call, like the fire dept or police or a locksmith or whatever. So all the managers and security people and everyone else start gathering up there and I run back outside to be with Noah J.

I get there and see he doesn't have the keys anymore. So I pull on the handle and get this - the door opens!!!!!!!!!! That boy unlocked the doors! SO I'm just screaming and unbuckling him and hugging him and kissing him and I don't know what else cause its just a blur. He wasn't even upset - he likes it when we look at him through the windows like when we gas up, so I guess he thought thats what we were doing. He was beet red and sweating, though, cause it was about a thousand degrees. So we all go back inside and they cancel all of the people coming to rescue him.

And thats when I just lost it. The horror of the whole situation and about a billion things are running through my mind. Like what if he hadn't unlocked it, he could have died, what if Joseph had been with us, and then most of all just embarassment that I'm the worst mother in the whole wide world. And I was just so embarassed as I drive away with all like 15 managers and like 10 employees out there watching me. I got home and just cried and cried and cried. The worst part was having to call Josh and tell him what happened. But then my mom came over and she made me feel much better. Thanks momma!

And the thing is that I am SO careful with the car and making sure everything is unlocked. When we first had Noah I was seriously stressed that there would always be times when he's alone in the car. Like even just for a second. You have to put the kids in their seat and then get into your seat, and for those few seconds they are alone. And I've always been freaked that somehow the doors would lock. I never in a million years thought it would happen like this! I was worried cause its so hot in the car, but you can't start the car and then put him in cause then someone could just hop in the drivers seat while you're in the back and take off. So I don't know what the solution is. Maybe just not giving your baby the keys?? :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I would have freaked out. I'm glad that everything worked out okay. Now you have a great story to tell Noah when he is older. :-) Glad we got to go to the library...we should go to the pool soon!