Monday, February 14, 2011

Paper mache!!

Last week we started our new geography curriculum, and to kick it off we made a paper mache globe.  Sounds like fun, right?  I thought so too.  I guess I didn't really think through the chaos of it all.  We waited until Josh was home to do it, which I am so grateful for, cause I'm not really sure I could have done it without him.  Just the fun of ripping up newspaper was quite exciting for the boys.  Wyatt was SUPER excited to rip up this car ad.



I have no idea why, but this is the crazy pose Noah is always asking us to photograph.  I have no idea what he thinks it looks like, but we make him happy by snapping the shot.  :)


I have no idea why, but I really expected them to daintily place the strips in the glue mixture, and use their finger tips to pick it all up.  Obviously, the just stuck their whole hands right in.  I was also surprised at how long it took!  I felt like we worked on it for hours and only had  small portion of the balloon done.  Annie was so sweet to sit quietly and watch.  Which was a good thing, cause there was no way I could pick her up with all the glue madness covering everything!
This is the point at which Wyatt was removed from the activity.  Do you see it starting to drip down his arms?  All over the table, chairs, floor, and then the living room floor.  And to top it all off, he took a glue covered hand and rubbed it ALL in his hair.  Josh had to give the boy a bath to clean him all up!
Noah really focused and did an excellent job.  His actually came out much better than the one I finished for Wyatt.  You can see Wy just got to look on for the rest of the activity.
We have since painted them, and they are currently waiting to be hung up in the school room.  The boys are adamant that they are displayed that way. I will have to snap a pic when we get them hung!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

We haven't done this yet but we should have - I remember loving this as a kid. Glad the boys had fun! Show us pictures of the ones painted! ;)