Friday, August 26, 2011

The Cat Incident!

Some of you may know that our poor Wy noodle had a run in with a cat!  So terribly sad and heartbreaking for this sweet boy who loves animals so much.  I wasn't there so I can't for sure say what happened, but evidently it jumped out from under the bed where the boys were running around playing hide and seek.  So it bit his leg and it was HORRIBLE!  I had no idea a house cat could bite like that.  I guess it is naive to say now, but I really didn't think they had that much power in their jaws. 

When I was first told about it I wasn't too worried - but of course then I got online and researched and realize that cat bites are exremelely dangerous!  I read so much about immediately starting antibiotics and such, but we really couldn't do that cause we only found out about the bit a half hour before Josh had to leave with our only car for work.  So we decided that we would wake Wy up in the middle of the night and check for fever, and then decide what to do in the morning.  So I did that - I got the boys up to come into my bed around midnight and his leg was STILL bleeding and he said his leg really hurt.  Luckily there was no fever so I didn't have to call my mom to come over to help me in the middle of the night.   But I knew the next morning would mean a trip to the urgent care facility.  Sure enough, in the morning this is what his leg looked like...

He was sobbing about having to take off his bandage so we alleviated his fears by telling him he could take a bubble bath in Mommy's tub, which always makes everything better.  You see Noah had to get in on the action too.  :)  Do you see how it was all red around the bite holes?  Well it didn't look like that the night before so I knew it was getting infected.  Luckily my mom came to the rescue and rushed over to watch the others while Josh and I took Wy to the doctor.  She even brought him a pack of fruit snacks to take with him (his fave) and a special Thomas coloring and sticker book to bring to the doctor to occupy him.  That sticker book was such a lifesaver!!!!!  Wyatt is so horribly afraid of the doctor already but focusing on coloring really helped the situation.  So thankful my mom is so thoughtful and prepared!  They came and checked him and of course said it was infected and it was a good thing we brought him in right away.  The bad part was that he was due for his Tetanus booster at his four year checkup, which we didn't get.  So he had to have it there cause the danger for Tetanus comes from mostly from deep puncture wounds, which is exactly what his where.  It was so heartbreaking cause it took Josh, a nurse, and myself to hold him down enough to give it to him.  So horribly sad!  Next we went to get his prescriptions filled and then went for a special post torture-filled-doctors-appointment trip to Menchies for some yogurt.  This of course made everything better.  But let me tell you, this bite was NASTY!  Here is what it looked like on day two.  Its gross. Be warned.
Do you see how it was oozing??  It oozed like that for ten days!!!  So very crazy!  Do you see how it is dark between the bites?  The cat bit so hard it bruised him.  It got pretty bad looking but I don't think I got a pick of it later in the week.  I decided to perk Wyatt up by making him some fancy bandaids.  The only bandages they had that were big enough to cover it were not decorated so he was kinds bummed.

Isn't he so pitiful looking?  Here it was on the third day....
Still really yucky.  We were photographing it cause we were starting to get worried it wasn't getting better and I wanted to document what was going on.  Obviously Daddy draws cooler pictures than mommy.  This was all I could come up with for the next day...
My drawing skills are seriously lacking.  Hearts, flowers, and houses.  Ohhh, so sad.  The next day he requested Daddy draw him an ornamental turtle.

So Josh drew the turtle and then Wyatt insisted that he also draw himself on it.  So that's a teeny tiny Josh in the corner.  :)  Ha!  Here we are 21 days later and it is STILL not completely healed.  Isn't that amazing?  The infection went away but there are still 2 scabs that are healing from the 4 holes.  It is really unbelieveable to me!

It hasn't stopped Wyatt's love of kitties, though, and that makes me happy!  The first night he was home in my bed Lily cat came and crawled into bed with him, licked his nose, and snuggled up on his shoulder to sleep and he was just tickled pink!!!  So thankful for sweet kitties. 

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Goodness... so glad it is healing and he isn't scared of the cat. I would be terrified of that cat after all that! BTW, love the bandaids! :)

Madison Rose Vintage said...

Aww! Poor sweet boy. Those bandaids are awesome! Y'all are wonderful loving parents.