Tuesday, April 18, 2006

IT happened......

You will never believe what my 11 month old son did today. I was so shocked I didn't even know what to do. He threw a temper tantrum in a public place. I don't mean, maybe I'll cry a little, not want to sit in the stroller kind of thing. I mean screaming at the top of his lungs, big fat tears, throwing himself on the ground out of the stroller, kicking me when I hold him kind of an ordeal. ALL because he wanted to play with the stroller. I had about 10 things to try on so I thought I would let him play on the ground with his toy backpack while I tried stuff on - well, he didn't play with the toys but he did push his stroller around in circles and was having a grand time watching it all in the mirror. When I was done and I tried putting him into the stroller to check out is when the nightmare hit. I was SO embarassed!!!! After he twisted out of the straps and onto the ground I picked him up which only made him angrier... and the whole time I'm saying to the salesgirl like, "I don't even know what to do with him - he's never like this!" and she says "He doesn't throw tantrums very often?" and I'm like NO, he never has before in his whole life. I can just imagine what she was thinking!!!! And he screamed all the way out of the store, into the car seat, and all the way home. And on top of that he wouldn't take his afternoon nap!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was quite a day! I have been obsessed with reading stuff on theories for discipline, etc and every single book has said to start this stuff at 18 months - my son is throwing fits now!!!!! It makes me scared!

2 comments:

Only on Monday said...

Oh no Laura!!! That is just awful! Did you get to use your coupon after all?? I feel for you. They always pull that when you are in public! It is like they know what embarrassment to mommy is.

Unknown said...

Megan!!!!!!!!!! The worst part is that they wouldn't take my coupon on the clearance pants I wanted!!! Grrr!!